Thursday, November 15, 2012

Moral failings

We all have them, those little nagging thoughts that what we are doing isn't right. I wonder if  David Petraeus had those little nagging thoughts before he betrayed his wife, Holly. Now I am not saying Holly Petraeus is a saint. She is a military wife who has spent too much time alone and if like me can't get away with going to the bathroom by myself, let alone have time for an affair.

Yet her husband of 38 years has done just that. He hasn't just failed his country, he has betrayed his wife and his children. When there is a moral failing, especially of a sexual nature, it kills the person who is betrayed. Both sexes do it, which does not make it right. Men seem, to especially, not get what it does to the self-esteem of their wives. Mr. Petraeus is not an exceptionally looking man, and Holly is a middle age woman though still pretty, she is not Paula Broadwell. So how does Holly deal with this. I know I would be crushed, the devastation is not something I think I could get over. In this season of their lives, clinging to each other may be the only thing that would get them through it, but how do you do that? How do you rebuild your life with the man you thought you knew. I mean 38 years that is a very long time.

Sometimes you just wonder....

No comments: